After successfully completing the BLS course, students should be able to:
- describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply its BLS concepts
- recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- perform high-quality CPR on adults, children, and infants
- describe the importance of early AED use and demonstrate using one
- provide effective ventilations with a barrier device
- describe the importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants.
Choose from classroom-based and blended-learning formats to expand your reach!
American Heart Association offers the BLS course in either a classroom-based or a blended-learning format, which gives you a complete, flexible training solution.
Classroom-based training is entirely Instructor-led. Students complete the entire course in one video-based classroom session with an Instructor, which covers course content, skills practice, and testing.
- Hands-on instruction with an American Heart Association Instructor allows students to practice skills and ask questions throughout the course.
- Students complete their training in a single convenient session.
- Ideal for students with limited access to technology.
- Students keep their provider manual for ongoing future reference.
Blended learning combines self-paced online training with an Instructor-led classroom session. Students first learn the course content online using HeartCode BLS. After passing the included online exam, they attend an Instructor-led, video-based classroom portion focused on skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, discussions of local protocols, and skills testing.
- The online portion allows students to complete exercises and learn at their own pace.
- The classroom portion allows time for practice and discussion.
- Students have access to HeartCode BLS for 24 months after activation, allowing them to revisit simulations and videos after they complete the course.