Heartsaver® First Aid–$59.00, Student manual extra
This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in first aid to meet job, regulatory or other requirements.
The AHA’s Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Course is a video-based, Instructor-led course that teaches participants critical skills and knowledge needed to respond to and manage an emergency in the first few minutes until emergency medical services (EMS) takes over.
First aid basics (including scene safety, finding the problem, calling for help and more)
- Medical emergencies (including actions for choking, breathing problems, shock and more)
- Injury emergencies (including actions for bleeding, broken bones, burns and more)
- Environmental emergencies (including actions for bites and stings, and temperature-related and poison emergencies)
The Heartsaver® First Aid course provides first respondents with training in basic first-aid procedures — including the first-aid skills recommended by OSHA — in a format that can be delivered in a single day. The course covers:
- First Aid Basics
- Medical Emergencies
- Injury Emergencies
- Environmental Emergencies
The Heartsaver® First Aid course is intended for all individuals who have a duty to respond to a first aid emergency because of job responsibilities or regulatory requirements, including:
- security and airline personnel
- camp counselors
- police and firefighters
- teachers and day-care workers
- aerobics teachers/physical-fitness trainers
- other individuals who want or need first-aid training
The instructor-led course is approximately 2 to 3 hours, with skills testing by an American Heart Association instructor during the course.
The self-directed online course is approximately 1 to 2 hours for the cognitive portion (Part 1), variable for the skills practice session (Part 2), and 30 minutes for skills testing (Part 3). (Note: Parts 2 and 3 must be completed with a certified American Heart Association instructor.)